Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Yukon's Senior Games


                                                     Yukon's Senior Games

         It's so much fun to enter Yukon's Senior Games each year. I don't enter the sports area. I'd love to play basketball and just shoot baskets, but my legs and knees tell me "no". I don't play pool, pickle ball, or horseshoes, so those sports are out for me. One woman, probably in her 90's enters the weight lifting category each year, and she usually wins. I can't lift 100's of pounds like she does. She deserves those medals.
        One of the good things about the Senior games is that some older citizens work on their games year round. That adds up to exercise for themselves, and for friends and family who work with them to achieve medals. Plus, that means some bonding with family and friends. Can't beat that, can you?
        I only enter in the creative arts area. I take photos of sunsets all year round. I have thousands of those one-of-a kind quick glances of the sun sinking. They are fun to take, and I often win when I enter them at the Senior Games or at the county fair. I won a first place medal last Friday at the Opening Gala of the Senior Games with my nature photo. The creative arts area is judged ahead of the actual physical games, so along with the big band era of music being played, we receive our medals. A meal is provided, and local businesses hand out the usual key chains, hand sanitizer, playing cards, band-aid dispensers, etc. to everyone in attendance.
        This year, I entered 6 events and won medals in 5 of them. I write some haiku poetry, but I don't write very much of any other kind of poetry. So, I didn't win or place in that category. I did win in all three photography categories. I also wrote an essay and it won first place. My short story took a second. It is fun to be a part of the Senior Games. You might want to try it some time, too.

Two gold and three silver medals at the Senior Games.


No comments:

Post a Comment